“New Orleans as Discourse” is a 14-week course at The University of New Orleans that allows participating students the ability to interview professionals and icons in the New Orleans cultural community (Art, Humanities and Music) about their areas of expertise.
Modeled after “Inside the Actors Studio,” Professor Irvin Mayfield interviews each guest, followed by a question-&-answer session with the students. Each interview will be video recorded and available for viewing here. Some past videos are available here.
“New Orleans as Discourse” Registration Details: HUMS 2090-001 (Class Number: 12178), Wednesdays 3:00-5:45pm
Room 236 of the Liberal Arts Building
*Each student must blog a minimum of twice per guest during that week; each student must blog no less than 500 words per guest (250 words each time).
*Students will also be required to Facebook (on Professor Mayfield’s page) the most powerful aspect of each interview/guest and to Twitter (citing @IrvinMayfieldJr & that week’s guest) the most powerful statement of each interview.
Fall 2013 Schedule:
- August 28: Introduction to “New Orleans as Discourse”
- September 4: Dr. Peter Fos, President, The University of New Orleans
- September 11: Gregg Lassen, Vice President of Business Affairs, The University of New Orleans
- September 18: Kenneth Schwartz, FAIA, Favrot Professor and Dean, Tulane School of Architecture
- September 25: Robbie Vitrano, Co-Founder, Trumpet / Idea Village / Naked Pizza
- October 2: Chef John Folse
- October 9: George Rodrigue Video
- October 16: William “Bill” Goldring, Chairman, Sazerac Co.
- October 23: New Orleans Jazz Orchestra Staff
- October 30: Louisiana Lt. Governor Jay Dardenne
- November 6: Morris Bart, Morris Bart, LLC Attorneys at Law
- November 13: Tim Williamson, co-owner of The IDEA Village
- November 20: No Class, Assignment TBA
- November 27: Bob Brown, Managing Director of the Business Council of New Orleans
- December 4: Susan M. Taylor
Return to www.IrvinMayfield.com